Overall Job Purpose:
The Consultancy business is the essential core for the SCC Services providing technology consulting, architecture design and implementation services to our public and commercial sector customers.
The role of the Technical Architect is one of the most senior technical positions within SCC Services and requires "thought and people leadership" and strategic direction in the individuals' specialist technology field, as well as a broad understanding across multiple technologies. As an established expert the position provides both an internal (Technical Architects) and external (Vendors) focal point in delivering enterprise scale infrastructure services to the SCC customer base.
The objective of the Technical Architect engagement is to create a technology solution that will deliver against the customer's objectives and meet SCC's requirements for increasing business through profitable and structured engagements in the required technology domains. Being a subject matter expert the Technical Architect will deliver or technically manage the delivery of the solution.
The Technical Architect will ensure that certification paths required by vendors and SCC are undertaken, working with both their line manager and the Head of End User Computing to establish relevant training paths.
Flexibility and agility must be a part of the personal skills as well as a proper understanding of correct process and adherence to quality principles.
Typically involved from the outlining delivery of customer requirements, ensuring the correct personnel are aligned to projects based on their abilities and location. The Technical Architect will be responsible for conceptualising and designing to a detailed level the overall solution, or developing further high level designs produced by Solution Architects.
Main Duties of the Job:
• Provide Vendors and other SCC peers with a focal point for core solutions
• Conceptualise and Design complex solutions, covering multiple sites, and including hosted Data Centre infrastructures.
• Technical ownership of project delivery and engaging closely with the Project Manager to ensure projects are delivered on time and on budget.
• Run technical workshops covering multiple technologies.
• Perform presales activity in support of the Business Development team, creating both High Level Designs and Low Level Delivery documentation.
• Perform presales activity as required in support of the Solution Architecture and Sales teams.
• The role requires detailed design skills specific to the individuals technology specialisation complemented by an architecture-level appreciation of all relevant complementary technologies.
• Demonstrating an ongoing, proactive approach, working alongside Professional Services Solution Architecture in developing and delivering service offerings based on industry best practice and "new to market" technologies.
• Development and delivery of technology specific presentations to both large audience seminars and project workshop environments.
• Maintain knowledge of project delivery methodologies and technology roadmaps in the particular field of specialisation.
• Maintain a broad understanding of competitive products to the individuals specialisation, an understanding of their architectural principles and, where appropriate, design skills and accreditations in these products
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of industry standards relevant to the role.
• To adhere to all company policies and processes as communicated by line management in order to maintain corporate ISO accreditation levels.
• To outline and obtain, maintaining technical accreditations as required by management in accordance with the guidelines provided by manufacturers and software vendors.
• Work in conjunction with the appropriate sales personnel to understand the opportunities for Professional Services within their accounts and develop team skills to meet the requirement.
• At all times to provide a courteous service and professional approach to customers and to the delivery of allocated tasks as required.
• To perform any other duties which, from time to time may be allocated by your Manager.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
• Educated to a high standard, preferably with a relevant degree and with good technical background.
• Experience in architecting and implementing EUC Microsoft solutions within a complex environment. The candidate must have an in-depth knowledge of some if not all of the following core solutions:-
Microsoft Hyper-V / VMware ESX
Windows Server 2008 / 2012
Microsoft Active Directory and Group Policies
Microsoft Windows 10
Microsoft MDT / WDS or SCCM
Microsoft RDS / Citrix XenApp
Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft AZURE (ADFS / AD / Services)
In addition to these the following skills sets would be beneficial:-
Microsoft System Centre (OM, VMM, DPM, SM or Orchestrator)
Microsoft Intune / EMS
Microsoft Direct Access Gateway
Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager
Microsoft APP-V Application Packaging
• Awareness of complementary EUC technologies:-
o Citrix Suite (XenApp / XenDesktop / NetScaler)
o VMware (Horizon)
o Ivanti Suite of Products
o Lakeside Software
• Suitable Accreditations in supporting core technologies is also beneficial such as MCSE/VCP.
• 10 years plus relevant experience in IT industry focused on delivering enterprise scale infrastructure solutions.
• Commercially aware with strong client facing and vendor relationship development skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, enabling the presentation of complex technical solutions.
• Experience in working with and defining delivery methodologies
• An understanding of Project management fundamentals
• Ability to Lead by example and influence others
• Team player but with the ability to work unaided